Note: the official name for the disease is COVID-19. The virus that causes the disease is known as nCoV, and 2019-nCoV, and sometimes SARS-CoV-2.
Resources for teaching:
3. My favorite dashboard https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/
4. Current information on the outbreak: CDC Coronavirus Disease 2019
5. What is it like to have COVID-19? What effects does it have on your body? National Geographic: Here's what coronavirus does to the body
7. Life cycle SARS-CoV-2
8. The annotated Novel Coronavirus proteome from ViralZone
11. Where did SARS-CoV-2 come from?
Reference sequence: ref|NC_045512
Pick discontinuous megablast as the program - this is best for cross species comparisons.
March 4th - Community transmission or travel?
April 3rd - COVID-19 in Iceland
April 17th - States are not islands or What happens in one state does not stay in that state.
Science paper about neutralizing antibodies: A Highly Conserved Cryptic Epitope in the Receptor-Binding Domains of SARS-CoV-2 and SARS-CoV
The SARS-CoV-2 spike protein and ACE2 and the ACE2 binding domain from SARS-CoV2 bound to a neutralizing antibody.
11. Companies working on COVID-19 tests, vaccines, treatments.
Galasiti Kankanamalage AC, Kim Y, Damalanka VC, et al. Structure-guided design of potent and permeable inhibitors of MERS coronavirus 3CL protease that utilize a piperidine moiety as a novel design element. Eur J Med Chem. 2018;150:334–346. doi:10.1016/j.ejmech.2018.03.004
Kim Y, Liu H, Galasiti Kankanamalage AC, et al. Reversal of the Progression of Fatal Coronavirus Infection in Cats by a Broad-Spectrum Coronavirus Protease Inhibitor [published correction appears in PLoS Pathog. 2016 May;12(5):e1005650]. PLoS Pathog. 2016;12(3):e1005531. Published 2016 Mar 30. doi:10.1371/journal.ppat.1005531
Takano T, Akiyama M, Doki T, Hohdatsu T. Antiviral activity of itraconazole against type I feline coronavirus infection. Vet Res. 2019;50(1):5. Published 2019 Jan 18. doi:10.1186/s13567-019-0625-3